Monday 13 July 2015

Showgirl Art Doll

Last week I started a new doll which I have completely fallen in love with as she was a joy to make. The pattern was designed by Barbara Schoenoff and I purchased it from Jan Horrox website a few weeks back when I ordered some fabric and hair. The Pattern is easy to follow, I did change a few of the techniques to how I prefer to construct a doll but the end result was exactly the same.
showgirl coth art doll

Following the pattern I made the legs, hands, body and the head last, I usually start with the head. Each part was stuffed after the sewing which was good for me as I do all the stuffing in one go so my arm didn't ache to much afterwards. As always I button jointed her shoulders and hips mainly because I like to have some movement to the dolls. Her clothes did give me some problems with the joint movement so I sewed them on while she was in a seated position. 

showgirl cloth art doll

The head was great fun as she has a more pointy nose that my usual dolls and there was and extra step in the needle sculpting which gave her so much character even before I had painted in her features. As she is a showgirl she needed to have a strong look so I gave her long thick lashes. 

showgirl cloth art doll

The worst part was adding all the bows and trims as they were all hand sewed on but I still enjoyed all of it, even though that did end up making my arm ache. 


showgirl cloth art doll

The hardest part of this doll was actually finding a suitable name and in the end I decided on Lottie as I think it suited her the best. She's just been made available in my Etsy shop along with my other dolls and the Cornish Pixie Elves. 

Until next time

Vic x

showgirl cloth art doll





showgirl cloth art doll







No comments:

Post a Comment