Monday 26 January 2015

The Making of Ms.Red Riding Hood

For week four of the year long challenge I decided I would make a doll that had been in my head for a while. Well as you can guess from the title of this post I was making Red Riding Hood, she took about three - four days to make in total. I also had to draft my own pattern for a part of her clothing, which took a bit of head scratching.
As always I showed the progress on my Facebook page with some Work In Progress Photos, which for the first time I'm also sharing here.
As always I start with the head which after sewing needed to be stuffed, needle sculpted and then my favorite part drawing and colouring the features.  

Art doll work in progress

The next step is to stuff and attach the body parts as you can see on the photo below I've button jointed the hips and shoulders. I also took a photo of the doll on the fabrics I was thinking for using for her clothing.
Art doll work in progress


I decided to use the white cotton for an underskirt with a shell pink chiffon over the top. I then gave her a faux leather corset and finished the bodice with gold lace. 

Art doll work in progress


I also added ribbon to her wrists and tops of her boots, and I also added laces to her boots using some embroidery thread. 

Art doll work in progress


Next was the cloak the piece of clothing I had been scratching my head over, well I just went for it and I made a fully lined hooded cloak. I did make one mistake on it, while sewing the lining to the hood I sewed it on the wrong way out so I had to unpick it all and start again this time with success. 

Art doll work in progress


I was really please how she turned out especially the cloak, and she's now available in my Etsy shop and below are the photos of the completed Ms. Red Riding Hood. 


red riding hood cloth art doll

Red riding Hood art doll

Red Riding Hood Art Doll

Until next time
Vic xx





1 comment: